How to help citizens affected by the recent flooding in Trinidad & Tobago
We’ve highlighted the organisations that are first responders or those which are at the front lines of co-ordinating efforts to support first responders on an ongoing basis. We will continue updating this, so if there are others we have missed with a strong record of transparently delivering much-needed aid, please let us know.
Trinidad & Tobago Red Cross Society
The Red Cross, one of the first responders, has a drop-off point at La Horquetta Primary School.
They also have branches in:
- Port of Spain (7a Fitzblackman Drive, Wrightson Rd)
- San Fernando (2 Ruth Avenue)
- Tobago (Signal Hill).
They have specifically requested diapers, shoes, towels, home-cooked meals, dry food items, baby milk, kettles, and water. Please contact Akeisha (355-7661) or Ayana (469-6455) for more, or call their headquarters at 627-8215.
They are also collecting monetary donations, which can be deposited into their RBL bank account #180482517101.
The Living Water Community
The LWC is requesting the following be brought to their Centre (109 Frederick St, Port of Spain), and are also requesting assistance with transportation.
- sandwiches, individually wrapped for easy distribution (no beef or pork)
- cooked rice and peas, with chicken if possible, and boxed already if at all possible
- clothes, blankets, toiletries etc.
They are also accepting cash donations to their Disaster Relief Account (RBC account #1000-911-10130182, swift code RBTT-TTPX).
Call call 625-6730 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more.
Animal Welfare Network (AWN) and the Veterinary Association of T&T (TTVA)
The AWN and TTVA are looking out for pets and livestock, providing much needed supplies and emergency care. They’re asking for:
- donations of dog and cat chow, bird and animal feed (including tinned meats, and goat, sheep, pig, cattle and duck pellets); as well as towels and sheets, bowls, bottled water, Negasunt or wound powder, crates or cages. Items can be dropped off at:
- Vinmer Vet Clinic (Belmont Circular Rd, Belmont, tel: 628-2773 — ask for Gina)
- Golden Pride Veterinary Clinic (3 Freeling St, Tunapuna, tel: 333-1010)
- Pet Point Veterinary Clinic (17 Rita St, Enterprise, tel: 672-9246)
- Pet Life Veterinary Hospital (26C St Lucien Rd, Diego Martin, tel: 220-7427; and 5 London St, San Fernando, tel: 223-7223)
- T&T Manufacturers Association (TTMA): 42 Tenth St, San Juan
- help with transporting affected animals
- people willing to foster dogs and cats.
They also accept monetary donations at Republic Bank account #110003138601. To volunteer, call 627-3449 or message them on Facebook.
The Joint Chambers
The Joint Chambers (Trinidad & Tobago Chamber of Industry & Commerce), AMCHAM T&T, the Energy Chamber, the T&T Coalition of Service Industries, and the T&T Manufacturers Association) will be working together on disaster relief.
Donations of goods can dropped off at the following points:
- Web Source Company Ltd: 16 Trincity Business Park, Trincity
- The T&T Manufacturers Association: 42 Tenth St, San Juan
- Unicomer (Courts): Calcutta Settlement Road #1, Freeport (security will collect)
- If you need assistance transporting goods, you can contact Adrian at Websource (email@example.com).
Suggested donations include (packed and labeled):
- bottled water
- non-perishable food items
- cleaning supplies (brooms, mops, latex gloves, floor squeegees, garbage bags, soap powder)
- diapers (adult and baby)
- sanitary napkins
- small mattresses and sheets/blankets
- sand bags
For documentation purposes, they have requested donors fill in this online form when making donations.
Donations can be made online via the following platforms:
- https://fundmetnt.com/campaign/11/tt-flood-relief (no credit card required; payment can also be made at NLCB outlets).
The Joint Chambers have indicated that all funds will be deposited to the Living Water Community RBC account (see above) and will be audited by Aegis for accountability.
Habitat for Humanity
H4H is accepting donations via its website and have indicated that all donations received at this time will be dedicated to disaster relief. Please contact Jennifer at 742-4663 for more.
ITNAC (Is there not a cause?)
ITNAC, as they faithfully do, is collecting clothing, general necessities, and cleaning supplies at:
- 3 Awon Drive, Campo St, San Juan
- 59 Gardenia Drive, Roystonia, Couva
- Contact: 795-0696 or 703-2714 for more
They are also inviting partners to work with them to help flood victims refurnish their homes. Interested parties may visit Furniture House (120 Eastern Main Rd, Barataria). All funds donated go towards furniture or appliances for flood victims.
See their flyer in the gallery below for more, or contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or 742-1879.
Trinidad & Tobago Association of the Hearing Impaired
Deaf or hearing impaired persons in distress can contact Qushiba La Fleur of the Association via text and WhatsApp at 787-4271.
The La Horquetta South Government school is currently being used as a shelter, with several more being added nationwide. They have requested the following supplies (contact 290-8298) for more information:
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste
- Underwear and socks
- Antibiotic cream
- First aid kits
- Cornflakes and milk.
Other initiatives & collection points
See below for photos with more information about some of these below.
University of Trinidad & Tobago (UTT)
UTT is accepting donations of bottled water, clean-up supplies (disinfectant, bleach, and cleaning items), toiletries and personal items, and food items (Crix, peanut butter, jam, rice, oil, flour, peas etc). Baby items such as diapers and wipes are also requested. Items can be dropped off at UTT O’Meara, ECIAF, John D, and Valsayn campuses. Cooked food and pre-packaged meals are also being requested to assist communities in east Trinidad immediately. For more, contact Cindy (486-1303) or Anwar (755-1885).
Port of Spain & Northwest
- Fantasy Carnival, MBAR, Woodford Café, and Buzz Bar: contact Jase at 368-4868 for details
- Joy of Giving is accepting water, food, and mattresses at 20 Abercromby Street, Port of Spain. Contact: Kandace at 276-4422 or Nicola at 678-1427
- Port of Spain City Corporation: donations can be made to City Hall (Knox St, opposite Woodford Square. Please contact Councillor Akil Durham at 704-2710 for details
- Power 102FM & Boom Champions: accepting donations of relief items (see image below) at their Abercromby St office
- Purple Pine Foundation: specially requesting mattresses, sheets, blankets, clothing, shoes, towels, toiletries, cleaning supplies, for shelters (see photo below). These may be dropped off at 202 Chuma Monka Ave, Petit Valley
- Seva Kitchen (20 Abercromby St, Port of Spain): receiving donations of mattresses, toilietries, bottled water, food items (non-perishable). Contact Nicola at 678-1427 for more
- St Mary’s College: accepting donations of relief items (see image below) at the school (Pembroke St, Port of Spain)
- The Atelier Makeup & Beauty Lounge (Long Circular Road, Maraval): call 328-2603 for more information
- The Canvas Restaurant (St James) is preparing meals for flood victims. Contact Chrissie Amar at 776-8708
- The Scout Association of Trinidad & Tobago: contact 322-9697 for collection arrangement details
- TRIBE, BLISS, Carnival Rogue, HARTS, LOST TRIBE, and Pure Carnival are accepting donations at locations around Woodbrook (see image)
- Arouca Community Centre (Victoria St): specially requesting donations of deodorant, baby bottles, baby formula
disposable diapers, baby clothes, baby comforters, adult diapers, powdered milk, plastic/grocery bags for hampers, candles, matches and lighters
- Barataria Regional Complex: contact Noble Kissoon (Chairman) at 788-3431 or Kirtia Arthur (Manager) at 389-8676
- Closet Red Plus Size Boutique (Mt Lambert branch) is accepting donations for ITNAC (Is There Not a Cause). Contact: Sonja Pollonais via https://m.facebook.com/ClosetRed/
- D’real McCoy Grill House (Piarco): contact 228-7334 for details
- Eventualize Concepts (Champs Fleurs): contact email@example.com, 492-6096 ,or 495-3604 to donate hot meals, canned foods, water, clothing, toiletries, etc
- Hillview College (El Dorado Road, Tunapuna): accepting donations. For more, contact Stephen Bedase at 746-3147
- Nalini Akal (758-1110) has a boat and willing to help with transportation to access persons in affected homes in Kelly Village and environs
- The Rotary Club of St Augustine: see their website for more information, or contact Maria at 678-4447, Balraj at 735-5255, or Surin/761-4555
- Tunapuna/Piarco Regional Corporation (1 Centenary St, Tunapuna): receiving donations for meals and non-perishable food items, bottled water, clean clothes, new toiletries, cleaning supplies, bedding (including mattresses, pillows, sheets). For more, see the image below or call 645-8772
Central & south
- Fan Zone (Centre City Mall in Chaguanas) is a collection point for relief items. Contact Shivani at 672-6766
- Scribbles and Quills Bookstore with Eniath’s Montessori & Prep School are collecting non-perishable food items in Chaguanas. Please call 780-3763 for details
- The Movement (Circular Road, San Fernando): contact 302-4050, 337-5170, 780-5009, or 715-6972 for more information.
Gallery of flyers for flood relief efforts